Subject: [Leica] 35 Summaron
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 18:14:25 -0700

Mason Resnick, founder of Black and White World is a street photographer who
will prowl the streets of Manhattan every chance he can get, armed with
nothing more than a Leica M3 equipped with a 35mm f/3.5 Summaron lens, or a
Konica Hexar, loaded with Ilford HP5 Plus.

Gerry Walden (UK)

How synchronistic! In August I was visiting a friend in Burlington, VT who
pointed out an add in the local paper for a Leica with 35mm lens for $800.
It turned out to be a young freelancer who wanted to sell it to get more
modern gear. I bought the combo with right of return and spent a day
shooting a test roll.The M3 was a DS model and seemed really smooth but the
35/3.5 Summaron lens had a stiff binding spot in the focus helical  so I
returned the package to the seller. A week ago I got around to developing
that Summaron test roll of TMX I shot back in Burlington. I was surprised
how beautiful the images are with that lens. They have the"classic Leica
glow" to a high degree. Also, the 35/3.5 Summaron is the most compact lens,
I have ever used on a M body. Next time I get a chance at one I'll take it
more seriously.

The story has a happy ending anyway. The repair guy I asked to check out the
Summaron focus (LeZot camera repair) had a near mint high number M3,
converted to rapid load, with a Mint 35/2 Canada Summicron, 1204 hood, and a
Leitz 35mm viewfinder. He "wouldn't take less than $1000 and told me old
leicas hare hard to sell. (I'm loving that camera a lot.) Then as I was
walking down the street with my new M3 an old guy spots the camera and I end
up with his  mint 135/2.8 Elmarit with "eyes". My wife won't let me go back
to Burlington again.

Now if I can just get street shots like Resnick....

Bill Lawlor