Subject: Re: Deer God was: [Leica] Young Male Dear comes close -- what focal ?
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 23:58:19 -0400

On Tuesday, October 17, 2000, at 10:55 PM, Douglas Herr wrote:

> Andre,
>
> Yes we should all be so fortunate.  My rule of thumb has always been "use the shortest lens you
> need to get the picture".  I usually start with the 560, and if I'm patient I'll switch to the
> 400, or if the animal is big enoug the 250 will do.  On rare occasions a 90mm lens has been
> perfect.  For this situation I'd guess that lenses between 90mm (full body) and 180 (head &
> shoulders) would have worked well.

This was condensed for me (when I was 11) by my father (that is, before yesterday when I learned that I was the son of Ted Grant), who said,

"If you can't use a 35mm lens for it, you're not close enough."  This, despite the fact that he toted around a (chrome, pre Dr. Blacktape) Autoreflex in Viet Nam.  More balls than I have.

And for the other cardinal rules of photography:
(1) Don't cut off head, hands or feet
(2) Focus on eyes
(3) Don't use 1/500 or 1/1000, because they never work
(4) Don't shoot into the sun
(5) Hold your breath on 1/30

Ok, so (3) was a lie.  The others are the 20% of the rules that filter out 80% of the bad pictures.  Hmmm.  Makes you wonder just how many man-years were blown in Photo I courses over the years.

I am trying to put together a posthumous exhibition, but scanning 45,000 Kodachrome slides is a little bit daunting.  And those were the less than 1/2 that made the "cut."  (Do Kodachomes a Superfund site make?!)

Replies: Reply from Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> (Re: Deer God was: [Leica] Young Male Dear comes close -- what focal ?)