Subject: [Leica] FOM2 and the `Family of Man'
From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 9:18:29 EDT

> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 17:42:32 EDT
> From: Gwpics@aol.com
> Subject: [Leica] FOM2 and 'The Family of Man'
> Paul Himmel, Consuela Kamaga, A. Marshak, Esther Bubley, Margery Lewis,
> Constance Stuart, Tona Hoban, Thomas McAvoy, Fenno Jacobs.
>
> Do the names mean anything to you because they sure has hell don't to me!

It would be a mistake to confuse present fame with either quality of work
or the prominence of photographers now.  Many of these names were well
known, if somewhat less so than Brassai, Capa, etc, in their time.  I
just came across some of the work of Esther Bubley in some old Leica
publications, for example.  Her nephew, Clive Bubley, is a professional
photographer in the UK, by the way.

Mark

In
> the light of the apparent concerns about our ability to emulate the original
> FOM exhibition, I decided to get out the original book and look at the famous
> photographers whose hallowed footprints we were treading in. The above are
> the names of those on two pages (162 & 163) chosen at random. To the best of
> my knowledge none of them are famous and I think I am pretty good at the
> names of photographers. A bit like us really, a mixed group of keen people
> just wanting to submit to a good idea. Sure enough, there is work by
> Brassaii, Capa, Doissneau, Bischoff etc. but they only make up maybe 20% of
> the total and if you took actual image area I doubt if it is even that. So
> why the worry? Why the derision? Lets just do it!!
>
> Gerry
>
> Gerry Walden (UK)
> Tel: (0)23 8046 3076
> Fax: (0)23 8034 8542