Subject: LightJet prints (was: Re: [Leica] Re: New Provia 400F film)
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 19 Oct 2000 18:57:45 -0700

On Thu, 19 October 2000, "Gary Todoroff" wrote:

> Tina - That's one of the best PhotoShop jobs I have seen on a photograph!
> I've always wanted to do watercolors, but my hands don't seem to "see" what
> my eye does. When do you start giving PS lessons?
>
> BTW - I just sold my first print (20x24") done with the Light Jet 5000. I'm
> still printing Cibachromes,  but am sure excited about the digital printing
> to Fuji Crystal Archive photo paper. I had the 4x5 transparency
> professionally scanned to a 400mb file, then used PS 5.0 for some minor
> corrections, burned it to CD as a 150mb file and shipped it off to Ferrari
> color lab in Sacramento. The photograph is like looking out a window.
>
> Regards,
> Gary Todoroff
> Tree LUGger

Gary,

Have you had any problems with microbanding on your LightJet prints from Ferrari?  A couple of months ago I had Ferrari print a file and there was too much microbanding for my tastes - more than the worst I'd gotten from Palmer.  Whenever it happened at Palmer they'd tweak the LightJet & reprint, and the reprint was perfect, but Ferrari tells me there's nothing they can do about it.  Calypso also tells me that some is inevitable with the LightJet.

I learned yesterday that Palmer's secret was a technician who's a whiz at getting the most out of digital imaging hardware and software.  He now works at Lux Editions in El Dorado Hills.  Lux Editions does not have a LightJet but they have an Iris printer and an Epson 9000 with MIS inks.  I gotta check this place out.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento