Subject: Re: [Leica] Elmar-M 50mm f/2.8
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:55:20 GMT

If you are refering to the current model I would say that whoever said this
unit is of poor quality is mistaken.

In 99% of all cases you will NEVER notice a difference in total quality
compared to the Summicron.  (Of course it is a stop slower).  The character
of the images will be different, but still of completely modern quality.  At
f2.8 this new Elmar is better than the classic f3.5 at f5.6.  The price is
high for an F2.8 lens however.

As for construction...I have no idea where these complaints come from.  I
find it to be a typically well made Leica lens.

Someone mentioned that they felt it wasn't as well made as the original.  I
have a hard time believing that considering the number of stuck apertures,
scratched, soft front elements and loose barrel locks I have encountered in
the old lenses.

Some have griped that it is not that small when you use the hood.  To that I
say "DONT USE THE DAMED HOOD IF IT'S A PROBLEM".  I have used elmars of
various ages and focal lengths for years and have never owned a hood for any
of them.  It has never been a problem for me.

IF, on the other hand you are refering to the OLD F2.8 elmar, I would pass
on it.  Go for the F3.5.  In my short experience with the old F2.8 I found
it to be low in contrast and just not all that damned impressive.  The F3.5
is an antique lens that can produce semi-modern quality when stopped down to
f5.6-8, and it is TINY.

Hope this helps
Dan States
Madison WI