Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:52:26 -0700

Mark Rutledge wrote:

> Wow guys, allot of venomous replies to a tactful and honest post! I think
> Mike definitely has a case. I've always thought a "bare bones" i.e. less
> expensive M camera would be great not only for myself(and yes I am a working
> photog.) but also for those seeking to get into Leica. Just look at all the
> M2,3,4 users out there. I'm sure they out number the M6's.
> If anyone thinks they have to have the latest and greatest piece of
> equipment to produce award winning, stunning, competitive work has fallen
> prey to the photo-industry. The new stuff is great don't get me wrong, but
> at this point aren't the previous versions pretty damn good?
> And as far as the new Leica offerings bringing in hordes more new
> customers,I seriously doubt it. I'm sure many current Leica users will buy
> the new 28,winder etc.,but I don't think anyone was holding out getting into
> Leica for any of these products.
>
> Mark Rutledge

I often shoot with a mid 70's twin lens Rolleiflex which has a 2.8 Zeiss lens
with no T* Coating on a paying job. This instead of a modern CF 80mm 2.8 Zeiss
lens on a Hasselblad 500 cm or ELM.
Why? the simplicity of the camera appeals to me and I'm not sure the image
quality is worse.
As a matter of fact i suspect the image quality is better.
I love they way the camera can't shoot Polaroids! :) Too many chefs....
I'm big on image quality. It's image quality will beat out my apo ASPHs out of
my 35mm Leica negs as well but this is the larger format talking more than
anything else.
The Leica M6 is certainly a quicker working camera with 36 on a roll and I "get
the shot" worth printing at all
The 35mm neg though smaller will certainly print nicely as a 20x24 print. Delta
400 or 100, Xtol 1:3.

I think we people see people out with their M6's and "miniwinders" going zip zip
zip they certainly not be so quick to get a Konica. But we'll see I think there
is a Rangefinder renaissance and they might also think twice about getting into SLR.
I see the market share of Leica M's going up up up and it's not for what they
did 10 years ago.
People want to shoot with the old stuff I say fine but why put a negative spin
on what Leica is evolving into now?
mark rabiner

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)
Message from Ken Wilcox <wilcox@tir.com> ([Leica] Re: Late night musings after a long but interesting day.)