Subject: [Leica] R4, R5, RE, R6, R6.2 owners
From: Hoyen Tsang <htsang@email.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:59:01 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings SLR LUGgers,

I have been in contact with the company that made the now-discontinued R accessory grip.  Some of you may have heard of them- GMP, now called PhotoEquip.  For those of you who have never heard of such an accessory, the GMP R grip was designed to facilitate hand-holding of the diminutive post-R3/pre-R8 bodies without resorting to attaching a motor-winder/drive.

A picture of a similar grip that is still in production for the Nikon F3, F2, F, FM/FE can be found at the company's website:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/PhotoEquip/Default.htm

The R grip also had an aluminum alloy base but the grip portion was hollowed-out aluminum (a la M version) rather than carbon-fiber composite.  The main problem with the R grip was that for some unexplained reason, its baseplate stopped short about 3/4 the way across the camera's bottom, leaving the entire left edge and motor drive contacts exposed.  You can see this on the Nikon version as well.

I have asked the company to make a new, redesigned R grip with a FULL LENGTH baseplate with two drill-outs (one for the film rewind release button and the other for the battery cover), a "sink" (for the motor contacts), and of course a standard tripod bush.  The baseplate will be aluminum alloy and the handgrip carbon fiber.  This grip should work well with all post-R3/pre-R8 bodies.  However, it will have to be taken off for battery change on the R7 owing to the flip-open plastic battery door.

Initially I wanted PhotoEquip to custom-make two of these grips for me, and the company quoted me a whopping $270 EACH to cover new design, new dies, CNC reprogramming, etc.  So I am wondering if there are any SLR users out there who would like one (or more) of these proposed "new" R-Grips.  Perhaps if we make a mass order it can be cheaper for everyone.  Any interested individuals, please contact me off-list at htsang@email.com so I can get a roster going.

Thanks,
Hoyen