Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:If a rock flies in the forrest.....
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:16:27 -0700

Greg Locke wrote:

> I hate to shatter the delusion but there are no "good guys" in this one.
> Its a very well orchestrated, albeit deadly, stage play by politicians on
> both sides who care little about the lives of people other then the PR
> value of their dead bodies in the international press.<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Greg,

Yep! No good - bad guys in this one,  they're all bad!

Starting with the politicians who want power and image!  I keep telling you folks,
it isn't the photographers who start this crap,  it's mislead people and brain
washed others who still believe in causes from centuries past. And nobody on this
side of the ocean is going to stop it with intelligence or whining. Least of all
"Common sense!"

I still say, those who have never been face to face through the viewfinder with
this stuff should hold their negative comments about the photographers shooting
(creating) this stuff.  To some degree, sometimes there's a group mentality with
the photogs that, "safety is in numbers carrying cameras."  Not always.

And yes I agree the best shot of the rock throwing incident is the one of the
photographers in a group.  I sure hope you folks don't think they are all like
that.  Maybe you should read some the "home postings" from David Brauchli, AP
shooter who works out of Prague,  while covering some of this "world news stuff"
in Russia, the Balkans, Somalia  to name a few.

Believe me it isn't a pretty picture. Look this stuff isn't a sunday afternoon
picnic shoot, it's in your face totally out of your control situations where you
just try to do your job without getting your brains shot out or head split open by
some rock throwing moron!

It seems we have a number of folks coming down kind of hard on the photog brethren
in the trenches and I don't agree with many of the comments, been there and done
that,  and no matter what you think,  it ain't as easy as you think it is. Nor can
you just run off and do your own thing, in some cases you really don't want to be
running off  doing your own thing,  simply because you're just running as hard as
you can to save your own ass!

Look, this complete mid east thing is one great big political crock and makes for
lots of weird picture situations and there is hardly going to be one or a dozen
photos that are going to solve it or stop it!

Save all your breath, thank the good guy upstairs you are not one of the photogs
over there and have a nice day.

ted

.