Subject: Re: [Leica] Focomat V35 questions
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:10:53 +0200

>I have found a used V35 (includes the 40 mm f2.8 Focotar) and am considering
>purchasing it but have a few questions. The guy wants $2000 but I think that
>I can get him down to $1500.

Where I live, Hamburg, Germany, the current price is now less than $
1000 for a used V35 and they are not hard to find. The lowest DM I
have seen recently is 1750.

>On the other hand if you know of any dealers selling the B&W version please
>let me know. Seems to me that a while back that someone stated on the LUG
>that this model was common to find used. If this is true where else can I get
>one?

I bought a color version privately, but when my regular photo dealer
got a b+w version we made a straight swap of filter units, no $$$
involved, he said color units would sell more easily

>1 It only includes the color module. How well will this work if I am only
>doing B&W?

Very well, but it is less convenient than the b+w module

>2 Is the Hove book "Leica darkroom Practice" worth buying?
>
>3 What should be included with it other than the unit itself and a negative
>holder?

Perhaps a red filter that swings in and out underneath the lens.

>4 Is a full frame negative holder available?
>
>5 Anyone out there know where I can buy a Focotimer or will any timer work
>with it?
>    How about a Focometer or any other accessories?

Not needed, but convenient. Any other brand will do.
I have the B&H Analyser to determine exposure time, paper grade and
to use as a exposure clock. This thing has the great advantage that
it can be used as densiometer as well if you want to get into serious
work and determine your own  film speed and development time. Cost $
300

>6 Is a voltage stabilizer needed?

Not in downtown Hamburg, but probably in Regnéville

>7 Are there any drawbacks to this unit other than it will only do 35mm?

Check which version it is. Early version do not take current light
bulbs unless you get some sort of upgrade. I do not know the price
for a new upgrade, but  I know Leica prices in general. BTW get
yourself a spare bulb. It is frustrating when the bulb blows on
weekends or otherwise when difficult to get a new one. They are not
stocked around the corner.

>Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

The V35 has a  device which allows you to crop the negative, avoiding
stray light around the paper when you expose it. That is what the
four small knobs are for, close to the negative holder. Check that
they work properly. If the do not, this is not serious, PROVIDED they
have not got stuck in a position other than fully open.

>BTW I am just starting to get the equipment together needed to build my first
>lab.
>
>Thanks
>Zack Schindler

- --