Subject: RE: [Leica] Quote to be verified
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:03:10 -0400

As with the work of many great artists, it often seems to me that the
greatest photographs of Henri Cartier-Bresson are whichever ones I currently
happen to be looking at.  This is not literally true, of course, but you get
the idea.  Far be it from me, therefore, to argue against Erwin's assertion
that "many of the best HCB pictures were taken from 1931 to 1955."  That
being the case, Erwin (and since I have not yet been able to obtain a copy
of your book on Leica lenses), is it therefore safe to say that many of the
best HCB pictures were taken with lenses whose performance was no more
distinguished, and possibly less so, than that of the 50mm collapsible
Summicron, which was introduced in 1954?

Art Peterson