Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Canon LTM, Winogrand, etc.
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

I've had both Canon LTMs - the 35/1.8 and the 35/2.  The 35/1.8 is soft
wide-open but it is a very smooth lens (probably underpriced at the usual
$300).  It is not a contenda with a pre-asph Summicron sharpness-wise, but
it makes nice pictures.  It has summicron-level contrast (medium).  I
found the focus lock to be annoying.

The 35/2, which from all appearances is the 35/1.8 masked down in a newer
barrel is a high-contrast lens.  Very hot, 1/2 grade.  Whether this is
from a recomputation, shift in the focus point, or better glass, it is
competitive with many, if not all,  modern lenses.  The 35/2.8 Zeiss
Distagon of today was no match at the center.  The 35/2 is very hard to
find, but it is a fun lens.  Its lens twist is shorter than the 1.8's, and
it "snaps" into focus in 1/4 turn (vs about 1/3, if I remember).  The 35/2
also has a tighter DOF scale.  It feels like a miniature SLR lens.  Bokeh
is a harder, more wiry but not still pleasant.

Cheers
Dante Stella

Replies: Reply from "SML" <inyoung@jps.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Canon LTM, Winogrand, etc.)