Subject: [Leica] Salgado's film
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:57:04 -0500

> Mike, are you sure about this? I thought he used Tri-X with TMax 3,200. As
> you say though, not that itmatters cos I can't produce shots like his!

No, I'm really not sure. I don't know Salgado and I don't know anybody who
knows him. I don't really know his work all that well. I saw one huge show
at the Corcoran from the first big book (was it "Workers"?) that was
sponsored by Kodak, and the write-ups made it explicit that he had used
T-Max 400, which was relatively new at that time. It included the skeletal
child hung from the scale and the burly mine worker grabbing the end of the
soldier's (or guard's) gun. That work was done with that film, and that was
a lot of work, but he's done much more work since then that I've never seen
"in person."

- --Mike