Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing the M6
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:44:52 EDT

Jesse, you are imposing focusing constraints that cannot be accomodated by
the M6 with a 28mm at f2. If you wish the edge-of-frame subject, (the eye) to
be in focus when the camera is focused at it's minimum focusing distance, you
will have to make sure that you place the camera at a distance some 6 or 7
inches farther away from the eye than this minimum distance. Then you can put
the lens at it's close limit and shoot with the subject eye at the edge of
the frame. If you do a lot of this type of portraiture you could probably set
up some three dimensional subjects and by trial and error develop a set of
dimensional guidelines for your own use with subject eyes at various
positions within the frame. When you are dealing with DOF figures of an inch
or less, focus bracketing is smart.

Simon's example, shot with the 90mm is probably not typical of your problem
with a 28mm or even a 35mm wide open. His subject, while off-center was still
only about 6 inches or so from the center, while yours will be closer to a
foot off-center.

Regards, and LOL, -- Paul Connet

<< Ken Lai said much more precisely what I meant. I have tried this, at
 F1.4 with the old Summilux (only one meter), and it really is a factor.
 Since I take portraits and often am shooting as close as I can, it is
 something that affects my photographs more than it might others. I want
 the eyes as sharp as possible and they often are well off center.

 Jesse >>