Subject: Re: [Leica] Some history
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:52:54 -0400

It is interesting that Stieglitz and the other early pictorialists
eventually repudiated soft focus and other "painterly" techniques.  They
found that they could form abstract images and provoke emotional responses
via "straight" photography.  Stieglitz told Weston "You see my prints, the
eye is able to wander all over them, finding satisfaction in every portion,
the ear is given as much consideration as the nose, but it is a task, this
desire to obtain detail and simplification at the same time."

In his day Stieglitz was much more influential and controversial than Susan
Sontag ever hoped to be.  Unlike her he did pick up a camera from time to
time.  Mighty nice work.

Mike D