Subject: Re: [Leica] Schwalberg Straps
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 23:51:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Marc James Small wrote:

> At 07:50 PM 10/25/2000 EDT, ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:
> >In my relentless search for the perfect vanity strap, I think I've tracked
> >down the one I saw. Ken Hansen told me he thinks it's a "Schalberg Strap," a
> >black leather beauty with lots of bright hardware and quick release snaps!
> >I'm sure it's no better than the other straps, but I think it has lots of
> >snob value. Has anyone heard of this strap or know where I can get one?
> Arthur
> >

> It's a "Schwalberg Strap", designed by, and named after, the noted Leica
> authority, Bob Schwalberg.  Ed Meyers can tell you more <aghalide@panix.com>.
>
> Marc
>
> msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Not necessarily. The Schwalberg strap had one snap only and was
actually manufactured by George Ward in Denver. I actually have a
virgin one in a box (original), and have been using them since the
1950s, when they were first made and sold. They keep on ticking.
Bob's idea was that you can hang your Leica or Contax (real one)
inside your jacket. When you want to use it you unsnap the snap and
slide it out from under the jacket and resnap and place over one
shoulder. Bob also sometimes sewed a large button on the shoulder
of his Tweed jacket so the Leica wouldn't slide off. First time
I met Bob, there was this guy with a tweed jacket and a button
sewed on one shoulder. It was 1958. We were both smoking pipes,
me a cheap one and Bob a Charatan.

Maybe we should auction off the Virgin Schwalberg strap and
give the money to a charity...( I might really have about three of
them. I have to look in the box of old stuff.

Oh yes, I must mention that Bob was not a good businessman.
George Ward also sold the straps. I was in a meeting of the
two of them in a Chicago hotel, in the early 1970s when Bob
asked George when he was to receive his royaltiies, as George had
not only manufactured them but had been selling them for at
least ten years. Soon....Never happened.

See what happens when Marc mentions something that triggers
my memory?

My M3 and new (old) IIIf have Schwalberg straps.

Best, Ed