Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon 50/1.4 & chuck close
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:45:49 -0800

>[parsnip]
>If I wanted ultra-sharp, highly blown-up images -- and believe me, I'm a
>great admirer of Jeff Wall,
>Chuck Close, etc. -- I'd use the largest negative/Polaroid I could find,
>and manipulate the plane of
>focus.  In fact, I'm beginning to do this.  With old lenses, of course...
>
>awaiting the flames, like Joan of Arc,
>
>Douglas Cooper

hey douglas,

i'm not going to flame you! just ask a question: does anyone know what kind
of camera chuck close used?

now, now, i know he's a painter, but you all know he worked from photos
that (i assume) he himself took. were they polaroids (which is what i
suspect), or were they taken with some other kind of camera?

there's a big beautiful book on his work, published recently, which, alas,
i do not have. maybe the info's in there.

guy

p.s. interesting that his name is appropriate for the
up-close-and-in-your-face style of his signature work.