Subject: [Leica] Payment for Photographs
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:31:15 -0400

The discussion over whether professionals should always require full payment for published photographs has been interesting.  It seems to me that the question is not significantly different whether one is a photographer, writer, public speaker, or--for that matter--any other artist or free-lancer.  I doubt that there is a hard-and-fast rule.

For those who make their living taking photographs, or writing, or public speaking, it would be folly to do something on the cheap (or--worse--free) for someone who is going to make money off the product.

For someone who does not make their living in these creative professions, the situation is quite different.  I don't think anybody writes an op-ed piece for the New York Times, or Washington Post, or their local newspaper for the money (even professional writers).  They write it to get attention to their views, and in some cases, to establish their credentials as a writer.  They are not betraying their fellow writers when they do so.

Are photographers any different?  What about artists who place their works in a gallery exhibit, but get nothing if the works don't sell?  (They still help keep the gallery in business.)

Also, the nature of the publication or venue is relevant.  A writer who can command substantial royalties from, say, the New Yorker, would be stupid to sell an article to Harper's for peanuts, but would probably not expect a lot of pay for a short piece for his or her alumni magazine.

I know a fine speaker who can get $15,000 to $16,000 from investment banks looking for after-dinner speakers, and $7,000-10,000 from universities, but who nevertheless will give the same speech gratis for his grandson's prep school or his own alma mater--or to a group he is trying to persuade to vote for the candidate he supports, or to contribute to the cause he is promoting. I don't see that this is unfair competiton with folks who make their living public speaking.

In sum, Leica photographers (gotta get on topic) are in my opinion no different from other creative professionals who, at times, compete for attention with non-professionals.  By all means, decide what you are worth, and charge it if you can get it.  But don't feel that others who give their work away are somehow being unfair to you.

Nobody required you to be a professional--it was your choice.  And if you are good enough, you won't have to worry about competion from us amateurs and part-timers who just like to see our work in print--or maybe need it for advertising for our chosen profession.

One thing, though, is clear--whether you are a pro or a casual snapshooter, you can't beat a Leica M with the 35mm asph Summicron.  Can't we at least agree on that?

Cheers,

Jack