Subject: Re: [Leica] Standalone Still fotos (was) Eddie Adams Photo/ Jim Nachtwey in Israel
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@telia.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:21:35 +0200

Rubbish Roger.  For instance, I downloaded the Napalm Girl foto last
night and showed it to my wife and her visiting friend.  Both of them
are too young to have been exposed to the Vietnam war.

They both said it was terrible to see frightened children running away
from soldiers.  They assumed it was from the ongoing Palastinian
Israeli conflict.  They supplied the missing details in the still photo
(the notes before and the notes after) from the baggage of their
personal experiences.

There is nothing in that foto itself that even suggests that the
children are fleeing from an airborn napalm attack.  Its effect is
really to illustrate (in a general way) the terror of a child.

I use this foto as an example, only because Dave Fisher mentioned it in
the same thread.

To say that a black and white still foto is complete and needs no
support is a remarkable example of wishful thinking. We live in a three
dimensional world of colour and movement and smell etc. (Martin
Howard).  The viewer of a foto supplies the majority of the missing
info.

Alan

> Från: Roger Beamon ... on a Still Photograph (snip snip)
.. It is complete unto itself and requires