Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Would you start a wet darkroom today?
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:12:16 -0400

on 27/10/00 12:51 pm, Curt Miller at cmiller@berkshire.net wrote:

> BD, Greg and group -
>
> I'll go back to a whole different place on this: the economics of digital
> imaging for fine art quality printing for AMATEURS is not there.  I
> recently priced out a package capable of producing only acceptable 8x10
> (compared with my chemical output, only acceptable) and I was looking at
> $5,000 worth of stuff.

My setup cost me ballpark (in US)

1500 for the scanner
300 for the printer
300 for the piezo system

er... that's it.

Okay, if you didn't have a computer system you might add

2000 for a computer & monitor
300 for a giant HD
300 for a 32x CD writer

in which case you're up towards your figure. But you've got to be emailing
from *something*, right?

> Forget about MF output or 16x20 prints or prints
> from 8x10 negatives.  And, my investment?  Down the toilet in 5 years.
>
> Silver is still the hotspot (and will be for several years) where the
> plots of cost and quality intersect for the amateur.
>
> Curt
>
> ps - Greg, I'm half Newfie.  Mother from Brigus, I attended MUN and have
> eaten lots of brewis.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com