Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon Plans -OT
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:43:05 -0700

> The F3 is a Leica of a Nikon!
> mark rabiner

Well, perhaps I wouldn't go that far, but F3 is certainly legendary in its
own way.  As an owner of a titanium-clad F3/T, let me list some of the most
special aspects of it:

The winding is extremely light, thanks to ball bearings.  The torque
required is so light that it's almost hard to judge whether there is film in
it just by winding.  It does not have the well greased feel of a well
adjusted M3, but winding is so effort less, that its motor drive, MD-4 is
not really missed most of the time.

The shutter mechanism is utterly simple.  It just has a hook and an
eletronic magnet to control the release of the titanium leaf curtains.  The
lack of slow-speed governer helps reduce the winding torque, as well.  The
shutter is said to be the most durable of all ever made.

The body, even the regular type, is extremely durable.  It is well known
that some journalists have used the camera as a weapon to get out tricky
situations.

The viewing area is the same as the film area.  None of the 92% or even 96%
viewing area.  If you see it, it will be on the film.

While I have found SL and R8 to be fabulous, Nikon F3 certainly has its
place in history.

Replies: Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Nikon Plans -OT)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Nikon Plans -OT)