Subject: [Leica] OT: Nikon F3 discontinued
From: "Ken Iisaka" <ken@iisaka.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 12:36:17 -0700

The following is a mail I sent to Stephen Gandy on Aug. 28.  The
announcement also appeared on various industry newspapers in Japan dated
Aug. 28.

- -----

From my sources in Nikon, I was informed that the very last production run
of F3hp (F3, F3/T, F3H were all discontinued in the past couple of years)
will take place this winter.  Nikon Japan will accept orders until the end
of October, but the quantity will be no greater than 4000.  They will be
delivered next spring.

The monthly sales figure of F3hp has been less than hundred recently, and
Nikon apparently lost money on every F3 it sold in the past few years.  Not
a big deal, because the quantity was so small.

I have also heard rumours about termination of Pentax LX, but that's only a
rumour.

It's an end of an era, with the departure of the longest-running production
35mm camera (at least on this side of the former iron curtain) in history.

- -----

The last production run of 4,000 camera is now underway, and the last F3 is
expected to leave the Nikon factory sometime in the spring, 2000.  Included
in the 4,000 cameras are several runs of special F3 models with special
engravings.  I don't know how many of the last production run is expected to
go overseas.  What I've heard is that Nikon USA and other non-Japan
distributors have plenty in stock, and thus may not receive the cameras from
the last production run.

Note that being on Nikon USA catalogue doesn't mean it's produced any more.
The last time I saw the Nikon USA catalogue, it still listed the Ai
Fisheye-Nikkor 6mm 1:2.8S, Ai Fisheye-Nikkor 8mm 1:2.8S, Ai Nikkor 13mm
1:5.6S, Ai Noct-Nikkor 58mm 1:1.2S, and Reflex-Nikkor 2000mm 1:11, none of
which have been produced for a number of years.

Ken Iisaka <first name at last name dot org>
Still lost in Mill Valley, Marin County, CA.

Replies: Reply from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Nikon F3 discontinued)