Subject: [Leica] Re: Lenses for R6.2
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 19:57:57 +0800

>>I just bought my first R-Body (an R6.2), and am now shopping
>>for lenses.
>>
>>What do you all think of R-zooms?  Better than their
>>fixed focal length relatives?  I'm thinking of going for
>>the telephoto zooms.
>>
>>Thanks all
>>
>>Vick

Dear Vick,
Such is the influence of the LUG that I too have recently gone out and
bought a R6.2 plus a 35 - 70f4.0 zoom and the 100 mm f2.8 APO Macro. Shot
two rolls with the zoom and traded it for the new 50mmf1.4 ROM. Why? the
zoom has barrel distortion at the wide end and for my tired old eyes the
R6.2 viewfinder was far too dim for easy focussing with a F4.0 maximum
aperture. Pictures were fine, but I simply didn't *like* it because I
couldn't see to focus it in dim light. OTH the 100mm f2.8 APO Macro is in a
class (or should I say a "glass" :) of its own) and the 50f1.4 also seems
especially good. It ought to be, I add, given its price. The R6.2 grows on
one. Initally I compared it with my Nikon F2AS which is so solid, but after
using the R for several weeks its good points are beginning to win me over.
It is also solid and the meter works well, but you have to prejudge
exposure if you are in a fast moving situation. For low light hand held
work it doesn't replace a Leica M - but then we would all know that. I am
saving up for an 180f2.8 APO, and then I will wait to see what replaces the
(too big for me) R8 before considering buying a new programmable R camera.
Hong Kong friends suggest sending the R6.2 viewing screen to Bill Maxwell
to brighten it up if I want to continue with slow lenses.
Just my 2 cents
Cheers
Howard.

Replies: Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: Lenses for R6.2)