Subject: [Leica] RE: Lotus by Leica or wishing for a digital Leica
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 09:36:10 -0500

Perhaps...   But I don't think so...  It's not like I'm asking Lotus when
they are going to produce a motorized scooter.

Leica has already shown with the S-1 and the Digiluxes that they are
interested in digital.  A logical progression would be to see a M or R
digital camera.  They should certainly have some access to proper digital
technology on their own... or through another source like Fuji etc...  They
could conceivable outsource the construction of a M or R series digital
camera to someone as opposed to building it from the ground up in Solms.

There is a LUG meeting with Leica chiefs at Photo-Expo in NY, but I'm
several thousand miles away at the moment... But I would like to hear their
thoughts about how...if.... and when...

Personally... I'm trying to reduce the number of 35mm systems I'm using...
As I noted before on this list... If I buy a D30 etc.... do you think I'm
going to carry a second EOS body for film using the same lenses.... or add a
M-6 with 4 more lenses as well...  I'd rather carry one system than two.

One has to look at the future...  Obviously Leica needs to decide whether
there is enough demand and enough profit in that volume to make a digital M
or R camera feasible.   They may also decide that they need to produce a
digital M or R camera at a loss just to keep those camera and lens systems
viable as demand for film-based cameras change.  Sort of a loss-leader
approach.  But they do need to explore it IMHO.

Either way... I think a lot of Leica's core customers who are already in the
M and R system would or will eventually buy a digital M or R if it becomes
available and people will be more inclined to enter the Leica system and
less inclined to abandon it if a digital M or R is available as well.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador
Duane's Photographs of Ecuador
http://duane_birkey.tripod.com

**************************************
- --Oft-mystified Mike Johnston noted:

>> So, before I buy a D30..... can somebody ask Leica at the NY Expo when
they
>> are going to produce a Digital M or R camera????
>
> Duane, this is exactly what I'd like to know also ...
>
> If you get the answer, please let me know !

Isn't that a little like saying, "Before I buy a new hybrid gas-electric
Toyota Prius...can somebody please ask Lotus when they're going to produce
one?"?

Wouldn't you go to the people who develop the technology, are experts in it,
and have the capital to develop it properly? Why would you want to buy a
variant from soembody who doesn't have any of those advantages?