Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Digital is not photography (was long - shorter but still off topic)
From: austin@darkroom.com
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 08:54:15 -0800

> While it's true that digital process has taken over the real
world of
imaging
> (product, photography, advertising, daily news), it is also
true that it
is
> misplaced to call it "photography."

By your (what I believe to be) misguided evaluation, then CDs
aren't really music...  It's the same 'bad' analogy.

Both music and images start out as a capturing of the analog
world.  The only difference between digital photography (which
can mean a LOT of things, from scanning negatives to digital
imaging with no film)and 'analog' photography is the media with
which the images are captured.  Plain and simple.

That does not make using a digital 'camera' (which means room
by the way) any less of a photographic instrument than a film
camera, nor does the process of scanning negatives, and printing
them using an ink printer (which is what magazines and any printed
matter do, and have been doing for over a hundred years!) any
less of a role in the photographic process.

Technically, one could argue, the darkroom end of things (or
scanning negatives, PS and printer) has nothing to do with the
strict definition of 'photography'.  It would be called 'processing'
(the images).

- -----