Subject: Re: [Leica] Film megabytes and some curious contradictions
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:13:28 -0500

on 30/10/00 7:16 pm, Austin Franklin at austin@darkroom.com wrote:

> Erwin, I don't know if you're aware of this, but you will never just 'line
> up' your digital sensors pixels with your target.  Say you are shooting
> 1:1, and you are trying to record a line that is .001".  You would need to
> sample at at least twice that frequency, or .0005" to pick that up, since
> it could fall exactly between two sensors, and not get picked up by either
> one.
>
> So, when you calculate the resolution you need for a digital sensor to
> record information, don't forget to multiply by (at least) 2x the target
> size you want to resolve to.
>
> I also believe line pairs, are exactly that, line pairs.  So, 40lp/mm would
> be 80lines/mm or 2032 lines/inch but in order to pick them up, multiply by
> 2, and you get 4064....  Imagine that ;-)

That was what I mean by glaringly obvious but I knew Austin would be better
at expressing it than me. Erwin's position refers a lot to 'widely accepted'
and 'consensus' points of view but these are consensuses amongst -- guess
who -- CCD manufacturers. Hmmm. Wonder what their angle could be? They don't
represent anything like a consensus position amongst the very large
community of digital/silver users who would regard a 20Mb color file as
hopelessly unacceptable. If anyone doubts this do a poll on the digital
silver list.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com