Subject: RE: [Leica] Film megabytes and some curious contradictions
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 10:23:26 -0500

> But like other fanatics, when your "objective" views differ from the
various
> dogmas (sp?), expect and receive criticism, professional and personal...

This issue wasn't about religion, dogma or 'his' objective view.  It was
about facts.

There is a LOT of myth and mire, misunderstanding and just simple
misinformation that revolve around technical issues, and if you're not
really in the fray, you won't necessarily understand what it is you are
trying to understand, and what it is you don't understand.  You might
understand what you believe you understand, but then again, may be not.
 Damn that sounds screwy...sorry.

As we have seen said on this list many many times when it comes to MTF
testing, or any other reasonably technical issues, the bottom line is there
is a difference in laboratory results and results based in
reality/experience.  There are also a issues involved, that can not be
quantified to everyone's satisfaction, since, they are subjective.

The numbers are what they numbers are, it's simple arithmetic, providing
you understand what you need to know...  What is differing is what one
wants for results.  Some people will accept current digital P&S cameras as
giving great results, some will gawk.  Some think Tri-X is a godsend, and
some think it's pure junk, why would anyone want all that grain!  etc.
etc...