Subject: Re: [Leica] Morgans + steel framed bicycles : OT-nothing to do with Leicas...OK, just a little bit of Leica content
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 31 Oct 2000 14:20:35 -0800

On Tue, 31 October 2000, "Peter Choy" wrote:
> In those who are susceptible, bicycles can inspire as much gear-obsession
> as cameras.

... snip ...

> Cotes d'amour:  my personal favorite because my girlfriend had it built for
> me by the great Francisco Cuevas, as a gift.  We were married not long
> thereafter.  You can tell how long ago by the vintage of the components.

No tandem for you and your wife?

Katie and I got our first tandem (Burley Duet) in 1991.  At the time, as a university student living on $6000/year, the $1400 purchase was enormous.  We learned much about relationship on the bike.  Many fights later, we were married in 1993.

Steve Bilenky in Philadelphia built our second tandem, this time designed for me as a captain.  Bronze fillet-braze all around, with S&S couplings to allow travelling.

When Katie became pregnant with our first son in 1997, we bought a Rans Screamer recumbent tandem so that she could ride comfortably through pregnancy.  She was so comfortable on the bike that she often sat on it to read in our living room.  The last ride before Ansel was born was 3 days before the due date.  If not for the snow storm that hit Tokyo, I'm sure we would have kept riding.

Our dream is to ride around the continent on a tandem after we retire, visiting our grandchildren scattered around the continent.