Subject: [Leica] Cameras as checked luggage
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:48:10 +0000

Bill Franson wrote:

>Take a look at Tenba Air Cases. They come in different sizes and prices, starting at around $210.

This is good choice.  But better choice is to never, ever check them.
Why?  They are the lightest part of my gear, that's for certain.  I have
a small lighting roller case from Tamrac that weighs over 50 pounds with
batts, stands, lights, grips stuff.  The camera case, even the big one
with 4 bodies and 6-7 lenses and 100 rolls of film doesn't weigh over 35
pounds and fits under the seat.

Occasionally I'll check a lens or a spare body if it is truly non
essential.  Check out the LowePro, Tamrac and Tenba roller cases.  Not
cheap though.  But none look like camera fancy cases.

But if anyone would like Halliburton, I have at least four big ones
sitting in garage looking for a home along with a 18x24x38 inch molded
case that'll take 13 foot stands and all kinds of other stuff and has an
aluminum plate on botton and slide off industrial wheels that has gone
through many airports and becomes a dolly.  Once built a stack 6 feet
high on it with my gear and a video crew's.  Should've seen the eyes on
the gate crew at the airport when we tried to fly into the Shennandoah
Valley in Virginia on a little 12 seater.  (Never let a corporate travel
agent organize your travel!)  Took 'em three trips from DC to get all
the stuff there.

Which is why you don't check cameras.

I won't go into how the bags smelled after a couple days in a turkey
processing plant down there where they slaughter 40,000 roasters a
day.....

Maybe I should submit something from the take for the FOM2 about
Thanksgiving!!

donal
Donal Philby
San Diego