Subject: Re: [Leica] Gerry's picture
From: Krechtz@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:40:01 EST

In a message dated 11/2/00 2:11:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

<< I'm not especially fond of that "genre" of picture in general (found still
 lives) but I found this one fascinating and spent some time with it. I like
 the complex balances and echoes of forms and colors--everything looks just a
 little off balance, off kilter, not obviously "reaching" or trying too hard
 for effects but not dull and conventional either. I like this.

Agreed.  The intentional juxtaposition of unrelated and somewhat conflicting
elements, including miscellaneous grafitti, against a whitewashed background
with an inexplicable red slash across it, creates a kind of stimuylating and
even provocative disharmony.  This photo, to my way of thinking, constitutes
an interesting twist on a long established genre shot which might otherwise
be cliche.
(This is my first attempt at criticism.  Does anyone out there understand
what I am getting at?  Do I?)

Joe Sobel