Subject: RE: [Leica] My "real world" digital experience
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:32:03 -0500

> Yes, I mean 12 bits from the scanner.  I was speaking from Photoshop's
point of view - the file > it imports is 48-bit RGB.  I don't know the TIFF
file format, but I'd expect that the 16-bit words > are 0-filled.

Can be one of many methods...they can pack the 12 bits, they can use two
bytes, as you suggest...and MSB or LSB justify it!  It sounds like they did
it right though, using two bytes and MSB justifying it!