Subject: [Leica] Re: What's wrong with the 24?
From: John Gong <jgong@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 21:34:50 -0800

Javier,

I don't think the lens is so bad, however I have owned and sold two of these
lenses...

After selling my second one out of frustration with poor results (less than
sharp), I recently spent more time looking over photos taken with them.
Turns out that I was misfocussing very often.  The point of focus was
usually quite sharp, but not necessarily the subject I wanted. I find that
using the matte screen with grid lines, which is very useful for
architectural subjects, is more difficult to focus wide angle lenses than
with the standard microprism/split image.

Net result - I don't plan to purchase another 24-R. Besides being difficult
to focus on my favored screen, it is kind of bulky. The big front element
and irritating filter size just make it inconvenient. I get more
consistently sharp results using an M6/24 ASPH combo, and the setup is very
compact.

John