Subject: [Leica] Re: Dilution and developing to completion
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 07:39:25 -0700

On 3 Nov 2000, Mike Johnston wrote, at least in part:

> Incidentally, I usually write dilutions with a "+" because some
> people get confused by the colon--they might think 1:3 means "one
> part developer out of a total of 3 parts" (i.e., 1:2) rather than
> "one part developer to three parts water." The plus sign simply
> makes it more unlikely that people will make mistakes.

No, no, don't do that!

Anyone who messes in the darkroom learns, within the first day
or so, what the colon means and the proper interpretation. What
you're doing is introducing the "Johnston Convention" which will
only confuse the established darkroom worker (which most on
this list likely are). Your method still presupposes that the
worker know which end of the ratio water in on.

- --
Roger
Mailto:roger@beamon.org