Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Walt, you are dead wrong
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:47:49 -0600 (CST)

Well, Dan, I'll say what I've said before:

I have worked on probably a coupla hundred M cameras...
most of them between 1978 and 81 (I worked in a shop in
Houston, Tx.)...since then, my own, wife's, and a few "friends
in need"....I've done as invasive repairs as they get (shutter
curtains, sync, etc).....

I've said before, camera repair is something that one needs
to do EVERY DAY.....as I haven't done so in 20 years, I
even get nervous as hell working on my own...it's a skill,
not that much "knowledge"....this is NOT due to a lack of
familiarity (contrary to some beliefs, I'm pretty goddamn
confident I still understand how an M works)---it's a matter
of steadiness of hand, eyesight (I need new glasses, they're
fine at normal distances, but since passing 40 my arms are
a little short), and >CONFIDENCE<.....

I would encourage anyone with a "sense of rightness" (Norman
Goldberg's term) and a delicate touch to LEARN camera repair...
we need them....but I don't reccomend that ANY non-repair
LUGGERS work on their own Leicas....I spent years working
on electronic gear and several years working on "lesser"
cameras (it was a hobby until I went to work) before working
on Nikon, Leica, Hassy, etc....and I wouldn't take on a
500C shutter job today, even thought I used to think nothing
of two or three a day....used to slip diaphragm blades in
a summarit (a real bitch) and think nothing of it....today,
it makes my head hurt to consider it....

I don't know what kind of burr got under Jim's saddle, but
I have NEVER encouraged shooters to work on their Leicas...
However, I will comment on their operation and what I consider
to be their cost cutting measures...I feel damn qualified to
do so....and I won't get pissed and sign off if folks disagree
with me...I may be an ass, but I can take at least as well
as I can dish out...

I don't know how else to say it....don't work on your Leica
without lots of experience and apprenticeship....either read
my posts or filter the damn things, I don't give a shit...but
don't let it bother all of you, I sure don't...I have friends
on here and I believe they want to read my posts....It's a
free list and my damn homebuilt computer...and my Leicas work
just fine, and always will...RF alignment and all...so it clearly
ain't my problem.

Thanks for the post, DAn, and sorry for the minor outburst... :) :)
Walt

On Sat,
4
Nov 2000, Dan Cardish