Subject: RE: [Leica] Film megabytes and some curious contradictions
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:19:20 -0500

> What is the amount of bytes for film. Some say you should count the
grains,
> but that is the wrong apporoach

I completely agree with that.  I consider the amount of bytes in film to
where I can resolve such that the grain starts to be noticed...and
sometimes, for grainy films, which I want the grain effect, I resolve more.

> Now current film (BW or slide or color neg) has resolution figures
> around 100 lp/mm and Techpan has 200 to 300  lp/mm. Follow this: the
> negative area has 24 x 36mm. Every mm holds 200 different lines. that is
24
> x 200 x 36 x 200 bytes = 4800 x 7200 = 34.560.000 bytes. We need three
> colours, that is 34.560.000 x 3 = 103.680.000 thus more than 100 MB for a
> colournegative or slide.

Isn't it line pairs/mm, ie one black one white?  That would mean you are
off by a factor of 4.

> This figure is close to my original and ridiculed calculation.

Any disagreement I have with your numbers are based on my experience, since
I sit in front of a 5080DPI scanner for many hours a day (thanks BD for all
those negatives ;-)  I know what DPI can suitably resolve what film from
experience...

> Now for some  steps. It is very difficult and often considered
unnecessary
> (pace Mike Johnston) to get on film more than 40 line pairs or 80 lines.
And
> if we be even more general, 20 lp/mm are the best. most people would
dream
> about. Assume now 20 lp/mm or 40 lines per mm (the best you can get in
hand
> held picture taking, generally speaking).
> Again: 24 x 40 x 36 x 40 = 960 x 1440 = 1.382.400. Three colours would be
3
> times this number, which is 4Mb. And with 40 lp/mm we et 5.529.600 bytes
> times 3 = 16.588.800 bytes or 17 Mb, quite close to the 20 MB I quoted as
> the conventional wisdom.

If you numbers were right (and I don't believe they are) 35mm cameras are
not very high quality, and we should all shoot MF, since we couldn't print
anything larger than about 4 x 6 and expect a quality image.  I scan NC160
at 4000DPI, and barely start to resolve grain...so I know from practice
that my negatives are FAR more than 960 x 1440.  Even Tri-X at 800 is
around 2540DPI...

If your numbers were even close, and they aren't, no one would ever use a
drum scanner, which scans at 8000 to 10000DPI.  My Leafscan 45 scans at
5080, and is the gold standard for service bureaus.  If 35mm film only
resolved to 1000DPI, why would everyone waste their money on 5x the
resolution?  That doesn't make any sense.