Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Greg Bicket's focus thread
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 5 Nov 2000 06:36:46 -0800

On Sun, 05 November 2000, Dan Cardish wrote:

> The ONLY time I use manual focus is when I've locked the camera on a tripod
> and am taking my sweet time taking the photograph.  This is when I usually
> prefer focusing by eye on the screen, rather than move the camera to get
> the center spot to the point I wish to focus (same problem applies to
> M-Leica, but in this case I MUST move camera to focus). The concept of
> "Decisive Moment doesn't apply.

I'm surprised that you think the "decisive moment" concept doesn't apply.  Can you explain this?  Am I reading this out of context?

I often find there is a brief moment when all the elements I want come together: light, posture, activity, background, and when the moment is gone it doesn't come back.  Whether it's people or animals the concept is still there.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento