Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Books
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 11:56:37 -0600 (CST)

Now, I don't know if I should start another feud here or not,
but for the record, I >DO< work in a university photo department,
(my second department) and will post FROM that viewpoint:

I have told students for years, and been universally ignored,
that they should use a 35mm camera and a 50mm lens.  Period.
When they ask "what should I buy", I tell them that when they
need something else, they WON'T have to ask...If they have
to ask what they "need", they dont' "need" anything.

I also believe that they should have NO meter for the first
course or two...Not a TTL meter, not ANY meter...that they
should master the ability to expose B&W, at least, in common
shooting conditions, without a meter.

Funny story:....I had a faculty friend a number of years back.
Arrogant would not describe...it'd be an insult to arrogant
people....this dimwit told a story of how he went on a trip
out west photographing with Fuji RDP (100 ISO chrome).  Because
of his meter failing him, he trashed ALL his shots, by FOUR
stops.   Bear in mind, he was photographing in broad daylight,
with a tripod, and was off FOUR stops?.....But he was teaching
photography to your children.

A camera, a lens (35 or 50 who cares?) lots of CHEAP film and
lots of CHEAP paper....after a coupla years, they'll either
be photogaphers, or not.  The "nots" need to find something
else to do.  After they are good with B&W, they should NEXT
shoot slow transparency film (100 asa or less)...AND they
should look critically at color, at the same time....and learn
to filter/correct/predict it....this will be a natural extension
and refinement of their B&W skills, NOT a replacement for them.

Motor drives and extreme lenses used to be considered "specialized"
equipment.  We'd have a better photographic community if they
still were so regarded....

Walt in Denton

On
Sun,