Subject: Re: [Leica] more about film Shake or Flash
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 11:56:20 -0800

><Snip>
> 'The most important factor that lowered resolution is camera shake, which
> can influence the resolution by more than 100%, so in fact much more than
> the influence of film and/or developer.
> So the trend in the industry to neglect the 25ISO film for 35mm work is
> understandable, as the very high performance of the best ISO100 film would
> exceed the performance of most lenses and even at enlargements of 100 times
> (print size almost 4 meter wide) everything the lens has been able to record
> on the film can be seen and printed. This is a remarkable achievement of
> current silverbased emulsions and given this level of quality the optical
> industry has to come up with some tricks to push film to its limits.><Snip>
> More to follow
>
> Erwin

Shake or Flash?

Glad your impressions of my favorite high (or higher) res film: Delta 100 are as
positive as mine Erwin!

I only see one possible flaw in your various logical arguments above!!!!:

And that is because my most shockingly "sharp" (sorry!) example of the results
I've been getting from my new 90 apo Asph was a flash shot done of a blond women
indoors from the waist up with the Metz 32-Z2 flash on Kodachrome 64. Might have
shot it at f8.
This was hand held. Was the flash at 7 feet away going off at 1/10,000 of a
second effectively becoming the shutter speed?
Any way with a loupe there are little blond hairs all over her face that I sure
have never noticed before.
The sharpest darn thing i ever saw in my life. Nothing has ever come close.
And my thought is: the mindless masses shoot what percentage of their shots with
flash? I think lots!
And it's easy with flash to still be shooting stopped way down when working a
bit closer in or with studio strobes even with the ultra slow films.
So i would think it would still behove the film companies to continue giving us
a premium product...
As flash photography makes it a no brainer anyway. FLASH
Unless they always have to use those itsey bitsey tiny Weenie yellow polka dot flashes!
mark rabiner
Flash has a shocking was of letting you see what your film - lens - developer
can do.

F11 at 10,000 of a second and be there!
:)