Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica books
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 16:42:30 -0700

There are no truly excellent books on using the M cameras still in print.

The best books on using M cameras would be:

"The Leica Manual" (15th Edition 1973) around $25 to $75 used
"Leica M, The Advanced School of Photography" by Gunter Osterloh (1984)
around $100 to $650 used (not a typo!!)

Other good books would be:

"Leica M6 TTL Handbook" by Jonathan Eastland ($45)

"Leica M Compendium" by Jonathan Eastland ($45, older version of the above)

And OK books would be:

"Leica M Photography" by Brian Bower

For arcane minutia and other such collector stuff the best books are:

James Lager's three volume set "Leica - An Illustrated History"
Volume I Cameras
Volume II Lenses
Volume III Accessories
There about a $100 or so a pop and $200 each if you want the leather bound
ones.

If that is a bit rich for your blood (it is for mine) then Dennis Laney's
"The Leica Collector's Guide" is a quite good and, at $75, much more
affordable.

To wade through all the different permutations of M, LTM (Leica Thread
Mount) and R cameras, lenses and accessories, the following books are pretty
good:

Ghester Sartorius' books:

"Identifying Leica Lenses" ($25)
Identifying Leica Cameras" ($25)

And the Hove Collector Book series:

Leica Pocket Book 6th Edition ($15)
Accessory Guide 2nd Edition ($15)

And a good place to buy all this?

http://www.photomall.com/flpbks.htm
http://www.classicconnection.com/frame_inventory.htm (good prices on Lager
books)
http://www.alibris.com/cgi-bin/texis/searcher
http://www.bibliofind.com/

and many other sites that any good search engine can find.

Do not forget my original advice though!

Cheers

John Collier