Subject: RE: [Leica] Erwin Puts
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:26:51 -0500

At 12:24 PM 11/3/2000 -0800, Paul Chefurka wrote:
>On the questions that Walt asked, I think that if someone is going to be
widely respected as an expert, we have the right to ask for credentials as
well as output.  It's facile to say that even a stopped watch is right
twice a day, but knowing a bit of background does help gauge the
credibility of the source.  Look at the number of people who think "Dr.
Laura" is a psychologist, for an example of this.

On the second point, I haven't a clue as to Dr Laura's professional
qualifications, as I have enough difficulty with her approach and attitude.
 Fortunately, a number of us got her replaced some years back on our local
radio station, so I haven't a clue as to what she has been up to since then.

On the first point, truth is truth.  I recognize the concern for
credentials in an academic environment, and I suspect Erwin would need
produce these in a properly refereed journal.  However, for the purposes of
this List, he is either setting out rational and supported points, or he is
not.  And, of course, this is precisely what he is doing.

(Wasn't it CT Onions who, when asked why he had never obtained a PhD,
responded, "Ah!  But who would give the test?", a worthy rejoinder.  Erwin
is in that league, I suspect.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!