Subject: [Leica] Depth of Field
From: Damian Dlugolecki <damian@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:42:58 -0800

I shot a roll of film recently comparing my 1st version 35 summicron
with a
pre-asph 35 summicron, trading the lenses off the same camera on a
tripod with a variety of subjects, near and far, wide open, optimum, and
closed down apertures.  I really didn't expect to find any detectable
differences and was quite surprised to find that background objects were
less in focus in shots taken with the pre-asph than with the 1st ver.
summicron.

I didn't think two lenses of identical focal length with identical
settings, would have different depth of field.  It is as though the
hyperfocal distance
is skewed to the near focus range with the pre-asph.  How can this be?
The RF cam is dead on and focussed objects are very sharp even wide
open.

Damian
- --
http://www.teleport.com/~damian/strings.htm