Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters part umpteen
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2000 07:16:01 -0800

On Mon, 06 November 2000, Robert Appleby wrote:

<SNIP>

> I use filters on all my lenses because they're all expensive! And if you
> take the filter off, you'll see that the lens is not just in good shape,
> it's absolutely pristine. The front elements have never been cleaned or
> even touched. After a year of good use, an optically brand new lens - what
> more can you ask for?
>
> I occasionally get flare, but so far, not in anything I thought worth
> keeping anyway. So...

I've never used filters with my R lenses, and a couple of 'em are over 20 years old.  My 400 f/6.8 (new in 1980) has slight edge separation but the front and back surfaces are still in perfect shape.  My 90mm Summicron-R (used in 1980, probably 25+ years old) still has perfect glass.  My 60mm Macro (new in 1981) also has perfect glass.  What's there to worry about?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento