Subject: Re: [Leica] filters part umpteen
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 17:30:00 -0500

on 6/11/00 4:41 pm, Robert Appleby at robert.appleby@tin.it wrote:

> Ok, OK, OK!
> I'll take the damn things off. But only if Ted mails me some of his
> underwear. Actually, Ted, I insist. You owe me.

Attaboy, Rob. I have never let a filter besmirch the front of a Leica lens!
One reason no-one has mentioned is that if you get any sh*t on the front of
your filter without knowing it, it is more in focus than sh*t on the front
of the lens (especially with w/angles), and thus if it catches the light,
you see it a lot more. Moreover... I always seemed to have crud on the front
of filters when I used them... I was more careless probably... but my lenses
stay clean for a long time.

Plus, if you have a DV camera or something, put a filter on the front and go
shoot into the light. You'll notice with the filter on the hood is a lot
less effective because the front element is effectively further forward.
Thus the angle from which the sun's rays can strike the glass when the sun
itself is out of shot is wider. On an SLR this makes less difference as you
can see the flare but life with a Leica can be a real battle when shooting
contre-jour... why make it more difficult?
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com