Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2000 07:26:36 -0800

On Tue, 07 November 2000, Robert Appleby wrote:

> Is there any advantage to a mechanical shutter except for the battery
> independence? Surely mechanical shutter = complex = bad, electronic shutter
> = simple = good?
>
> Leaving aside all other considerations (flash sync, etc) I think electronic
> shutters must be better than mechanical ones.

It's an emotional thing for me.  I don't want to feel tied to a source of batteries, and I don't want to feel dependant on something that can quit working with little or no notice, as some electronic cameras have.  Besides, I'm a mechanical engineer, I like mechanical gizmos.  My SL's shutter works the way I want it to, so why fix something that isn't broken?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento