Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and LF
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:58:55 -0500

on 7/11/00 8:04 pm, Mike Johnston at michaeljohnston@ameritech.net wrote:

> Actually, this was meant to be a joke, but I just remembered that the
> Deadman said something the other day about going out and making a contact
> print from a large-format negative just to remind yourself what that's all
> about.
>
> Well, has anybody ever considered that maybe LF photography might be a great
> _exercise_ to help make one a better _Leica_ photographer?

That was my whole idea, Mike. I think LF and Leica photography go together
very nicely. LF is a wonderful thing. It's like meditation or something.
Also, once you see the quality achievable in LF you stop trying to mimic it
in 35mm and instead you do what 35mm is best at. It REALLY makes you
appreciate small cameras, fast lenses, oodles of film, snap snap. But there
is plenty about LF to fall in love with too. Not just the detail... the
tonality is something else. If 35mm photography is like a glance
immortalised, LF is like staring really, REALLY hard. Amazing. I don't think
I will ever shoot another landscape with 35mm unless I don't have another
camera with me. Looking at a contact print is like taking drugs.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

Replies: Reply from "Tim Spragens" <info@borderless-photos.com> (Re: [Leica] ideal image size for screen?)