Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and LF
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:03:05 -0800

One thing that will get you shooting more statically with slower films and
tripods on 35mm cameras when larger formats would seem more obvious are slides
for slideshows.
Someday I'll see a medium format slideshow with Hasselblad projectors perhaps
but that day has yet to come.
I anticipate my socks being knocked off.
But having just come back from the Boston LHSA thing I've been pelted with slide
shows. And having made an effort to specialize in black and white in the last
five years; it's gotten me shooting slides again with a renewed fervor. And
coincidently i was also hired to shoot some for cash so i was ready. Slides are great.
While the consensus on the lug seems to be that Kodachrome you can just forget
about it coincidently didn't seem to be the consensus with the myriad slideshows
we saw in Boston. Kodachrome ruled.
But my main point is slideshows are a 35mm thing. And although I'd doubt many of
the slides we saw were ASA 25 I'm sure the majority were ASA 64. Image quality;
grain; saturation was a real issue.
Dick Gilcreast could have used a tripod for many of his excellent shots. But
maybe not. Wouldn't have hurt his New England landscape subject matter though.
Subject matter I'm very fond of now.
Michael Hintlians slides were from his black and white prints. The prints,16x20s
were much more effective that the slides in my opinion. Was nice flipping
thought them at the swap meet.
Slides might get optimized for 400 this year with the provira but 100 still
seems to be the magic number for them. If not 64.  A Tripod is bound to be an
asset in many situations shooting with films of that speed.
And Kodachrome 25 is still out there. Anyone still shooting any of that?  I used
to shoot a lot of it.
I hope to shoot more.
Shooting commercial slides for slideshows for Microsoft and other clients I've
often had to use a tripod to get what needed to be gotten. Front to back. Left
to right.
mark rabiner

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Leica and LF)