Subject: [Leica] .............Just bought R7..............
From: "tmlee" <clairetm@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:30:12 +0800

Dear Ray.......

U wrote.........

>It consist of a Leica R7 camera, with Elmarit
>60mm/2.8 macro lens plus extension tube and Elmarit 90mm/2.8 lens. The
>price I paid for the lot was US$2,000. It all seemed in pretty good
>condition: no marks, scratches or dings and everything seems to work as
>it should AFAIK. However, since I only made the purchase yesterday I
>haven't seen any photographic results from it yet. Your comments on
>this 'bargain' are welcome!

I think its a real bargain.....! U are very lucky.......

>- to the right of the lens, as you hold the camera pointing away from
>  you, there is a small circular dial the can be turned about 45
>  degrees against a spring, and will stay in that position if the
>  shutter is cocked. It returns to its normal position after the
>  shutter is fired. I haven't been able to tell what difference it
>  makes. Can anyone tell me its purpose?

Its the self -timer..... A very lite pressing of the shutter AND letting go
will activate the timer  (10 secs) the LED at the front of the camera
prism..... where the words LEICA are will start to flash and countdown....

U can stop countdown anytime by turning this dial back to its original
position....

U can even prolong the countdown by restarting the10 sec countdown by simply
pressing the shutter release again lightly......

To start the countdown U can EITHER
press litely and let go , the shutter release, OR
press and release the mode selector locking button......

Wonderful heh ...?

>- what type of batteries should I use?

The manual says : Silver Oxide batts suitable for the R7 include :
Duracell - D357 (10 L 14)
Everready EPX 76
Kodak KS76
Maxell SR44
National SR44
Panasonic SR44
Philips 357
Ray-O-Vac 357
Sony SR44
Ucar EPX 76
Varta V 76 PX

There are currently four LR44
>  alkaline cells and a red triangle with an exclamation mark is visible
>
>  at bottom left in the viewfinder, so I guess that means they're
>nearly
>  exhausted. Should I just replace them with the same type or is there
>  a better choice?

No.... it does not mean flat batteries !

Triangle with ! means low-lite warning - out of exposure metering
range......

Flat battery warning is 'BC' on right side vertical display, exactly above
lightning flash symbol...

>I'd be grateful for any comments/answers. Thanks in advance.

Welcome

Peace
TMLee
S'pore