Subject: [Leica] Re: Print Film Progress
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:50:40 -0500

"Fuji's 400 (NPS? -- I always get their absurd taxonomy confused) is
nice; a
bit soft and pastelly, like the 160 -- although not pastel in the
snowflake
sense; the grain is only marginally worse than 160 -- gorgeous for skin
tones, less so for scenes that require punchy contrast."

For the record, Fuji's 400-speed professional film is designated NPH.

I did extensive tests of six professional color negative films about two
years ago and posted the results on photo.net.  22X
enlargement revealed that NPH at 400 actually has finer grain and is
sharper than NPS at 160 speed. The only time I use NPS
is when I need a film with the 4th emulsion layer in large format.
Otherwise, I use Reala in 35mm and 120.

Reala, by the way, was head and shoulders above the other films tested
in grain, sharpness, and tonality.

Dave Jenkins

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Print Film Progress)