Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Vivitar 2800 flash with M6 TTL
From: Dean Chance <mreyebal@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:45:53 +0000

on 10/27/00 3:29 PM, Tristan Tom at tt@tristan.net wrote:

> I understand that David Allan Harvey uses a cheap Vivitar 2800 flash
> with his M6. Well I bought this flash so that I can be just like him
> (and it was cheap) and am wondering what is the best way to set it
> up? Which settings should I have for using it as a fill flash in
> medium to low light situations and how about also when it's the main
> light source? Thanks for any help!
>

> Tristan Tom

I use the 2800 on a non-TTL M6. If you have a TTL M6, I'd recommend using a
TTL flash unit with it. That aside, I really like the old Vivitar. It's nice
to have at least one Leica accessory that doesn't cost a zillion dollars and
won't induce thoughts of suicide if it falls in the toilet. The best advice
is to stick thing on your camera and take lots of test photos. That's the
only way to discover what it will and won't do. I use a diffuser for fill
flash. I bounce it indoors, even if I'm using it as the main light source. I
tend to operate it in the fully manual mode. I simply shot a whole bunch of
under and overexposed stuff before I got the hang of it. It's a great way to
learn flash technique and you can apply what learn when it's time to uses a
a fancy pants auto fill flash SLR systems. As far as being like Harvey - I
wish. I read with surprise that he uses this model, but I was more surprised
that he ever uses any flash at all. You certainly can't detect it in most of
his pictures.

I'm new to the LUG world. Seems like a fun bunch.

Dean Chance
Sacramento