Subject: Re: [Leica] Book: "SE Asia" by Steve McCurry
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:00:19 +0000

Robert Appleby wrote:
>Steve McCurry is one of the very few western photographers who's famous in
>India, deservedly so as he goes there a lot and even used to live there,
>although only a couple of years, I think.
>Unfortunately he's famous for taking nice snaps but not liking Indians!
>(Everyone I've met who knows him says this, of course they could be
>mistaken, and I don't know him personally - nonetheless that's his rep).
>Of course, photographing there is largely a matter of crowd control and you
>miss so many great pictures while trying to organise kids and adults out of
>the way. It can be trying.

Robert,

Frankly, Steve's book should have been named "South and SE Asia". That
would have been more accurate. Since you know him, maybe you should give
him my feedfack. India may seem fascinating but IMHO it's already overdone
photographically.

I spent 4 days in Ho Chi Minh City and was somewhat uninspired but
nevertheless the potential for street photgraphy and people pics is
amazing.  Unknown to many, Cambodia is THE country to get beautiful and
emotional photographs.  I spent 8 days in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap
(location of the famous Angkor Wat) and I shot roll after roll of HP5+
until my energy (an nearly all my films) ran out. The tragedy of that
country alone will grab you, then you see the old world beauty, then the
people who are all so willing to smile and pose for you, followed by the
children running around naked and unabashed. Small country, big photography!

I also like Thailand. Always charming, always full of subjects for
pictures. I have been to that country no less than 6 times in the past 4
years and each time, I've come home with new stuffs to print in my darkroom.

If only Steve McCurry could only give himself another really good crack at
SE Asia, his pictures on India will have no place in his book.

Dan K.

Replies: Reply from D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg> (Re: [Leica] Book: "SE Asia" by Steve McCurry)
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] Book: "SE Asia" by Steve McCurry)