Subject: Re: [Leica] mechanical shutters
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 08:36:31 -0800

In a message dated 11/8/00 6:41:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
summarex@yahoo.com writes:

> While it makes sense at first, defending the mechanical shutter as more
>  reliable in the long term than
>  the electronic one is like like claiming that an old adding machine is more
>  reliable than a pocket calculator. It isn't.

In remote parts of the world (i.e., rural Alaska) power supplies are not reliable.  For me, it's enough to think about whether I have enough film or not.  I don't want to also think about whether I'm packing enough batteries in or not.

BTW when I worked in rural Alaska, hand-cranked mechanical adding machines were far more reliable than electro-mechanical or electronic ones.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento